2:02 PM

Self Reflection

Those who have known me for years know that I was raised in the home of a Pentecostal preacher.  Weekly family Bible studies were a norm in our household growing up.  My father was stern, he was incredibly wise and to this day, I hold the utmost respect for him. 

Being raised in church, I've been to the small churches and the big ones; have heard a wide variety of preaching styles and seen many different types of leadership.  Through it all, I've learned that leaders and bench warmers are at church for the same reason; they're both people who aren't perfect who are seeking after a perfect God.

Here is a little video of a sign language/praise team I was involved with several years ago. I'm the one with the afro in the middle of the platform!

Growing up as I did, I was heavily involved in church and ministry.  Music and people are my passion, and even though the events of life have given me pause to my involvement, I am constantly trying to help others reach their goals in fitness and be that confidant and friend to those in need.  It's almost bred in me, at this point.  I mean I am 31 years old... there is no walking away from the things of God nor the level of involvement that I have always had.  Believe me, I've tried to push the desire to be involved away and have recently found it is so much easier to just embrace it than to fight it.  Truly, I am one example of how legit Proverbs 22:6 is:

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Praise singing with the choir; I'm on the front right.

Here's a video of a Block Party that we did a few years ago to reach out to a neighboring community. You'll see me wearing one of the yellow tshirts and helping at the sign-in table and also in the music.

Life happened though. And through everything, I am ashamed to say that I have never read the Bible for myself, and allowed Him to speak to me through it; unadulterated and without all the theories on the many different meanings a few words can have. Last week, I began reading the Bible on my own. It's not always easy, and I'm not going to lie, it can be a little mundane with the begats and the "therefore, my brethren"s. But I'm determined. I'm determined to find out Who He is to me, on my own, privately.

I've been focused on following traditions and standards instead of finding and nurturing my own relationship with Him.  It is beyond time that I do this.


Moving Forward

Today I spent the day focused.  The only music I have listened to is contemporary Christian and gospel music.  Three different entire sermons by different ministers have also been in my ears.  I have a goal to reach and I'm going to do everything I can to get there.  Don't even try to stop me!  :)

2 comments:

Tuck said...

Excited about another Christ follower entering the land of BLOG!

I totally understand what it feels like to read for the first time, like really read. Somehow, over all the years I had been using a pair of glasses that weren't my own. I never realized it until I got desperate enough to develop my own relationship with God.

Today, I am way less theological, close-minded, and judgmental, and way more curious, open-minded, and passionate about following Jesus.

If you ever need any help on getting your blog out (not like I'm an expert), just let me know. My blog is http://jtmustlive.blogspot.com

Good luck and I'm going to figure out how to follow you!

Adriene said...

I appreciate your honesty so much in this post. It is so easy have the "form of godliness" especially for those who have all the tools. I know all too well how we can look skilled with the God given talents, abilities, and knowledge and yet be suffering in relationship with Him. I'm encouraged and hopeful. Keep on keepin' on, my friend!